Allegorically, viewing the world through a rose-colored lens presents beauty and filters impurities. Now, new research suggests that our moods can in fact change the way in which we view the world.
The University of Toronto study provides the first direct evidence that our mood literally changes the way our visual system filters our perceptual experience suggesting that seeing the world through rose-colored glasses is more biological reality than metaphor.
“Good and bad moods literally change the way our visual cortex operates and how we see,” says Adam Anderson, a U of T professor of psychology.
“Specifically our study shows that when in a positive mood, our visual cortex takes in more information, while negative moods result in tunnel vision.”
View the World Through Rose-Colored Glasses
By Rick Nauert PhD Senior News EditorReviewed by John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on June 5, 2009

8 comments:
The picture is killing me.
Interesting perspective, especially given that I've felt a bit more negative this week than usual. Hmmm... where are those rose-colored glasses?!
Can I order some rose colored glasses? I could really use them. I totally believe this study.
I unfortunately often have on the darkest shades known to man. I need to get be a pair of those rose-colored glasses....and quick!
I absolutely LOVE the picture. :) And I totally agree with what you said. It is how we look at things that determines everything.
It's true to my experience. Don't you love it when science validates and clarifies what we intuitively know?
On the other hand, I think I'm a pretty positive person, but I'm notoriously unobservant. So maybe I need to think about what that means.
I'm so glad you shared the results of this study! Now if I could just find a way to stay in a perpetually good mood...
I like that the phrase is justified by science!
Post a Comment