Brianna slept in until 7 today!! 7!!! Which means that I also slept in until 7! It felt AWESOME!
Ben is still asleep. I went in to wake him, to get ready for school, but his breathing was so deep and even, and he's been so tired lately, that I just didn't have the heart to do it. I'll take him to school late, if need be.
Last night, when I snuggled Ben at bedtime, he said to me, "I just don't know what to do. I always wanted to be in the Army, but last night I promised Heavenly Father that I would obey ALL of his commandments, and not killing is one of them. So, there goes being a soldier. [pause] And a police officer."
He was genuinely concerned about what options still lay open to him, so we discussed many options. He definitely did NOT want to be a doctor or a dentist. I suggested maybe a movie director, because he's always imagining elaborate movie scenes and describing them to me. "But," he said, "Twentieth Century Fox already HAS a director." :) I tried to explain that every movie and TV show needs a director.
"Maybe my wife will have to be the one to work." he said, "If I have one of those. I don't know if I'll even have a wife."
Then he got excited about the prospect of being a farmer. "I won't even have to go to the store for anything!!" I said, "You mean food-wise?" "No, not for anything, even toys! I can just make the toys from our trees!"
He wanted a cow, and some sheep, and a dog. "But I'm allergic to dogs!" he groaned, completely deflated. "I can't be a farmer without a dog!"
We finally had to end the conversation with the understanding that we still had time to figure out what he would be when he grows up.
So, what do YOU want to be when you grow up? Any suggestions for Ben?
Family pic 2020
2 months ago
13 comments:
That kid is so smart and he cracks me up. What a planner!
I always wanted to be a mom. Don't think that will work for Ben... :)
Wow Ben. I am super impressed with you and your serious thinking about the future. Keep it up!
Doesn't ound like Ben needs Obama's speech. Unless he decides to quit school to become a farmer. ;-) But let's not go there. Farmers need a lot of education as well.
Thanks for sharing that! No wonder he needed to sleep in this morning! All that deep thinking would wear me out too!
I want to be a nurse....some day. :) Nefore I lose all of my ability to remember things!
lol @ MY TYPING! I think it may actually be getting worse! UGH!
What a fun yet serious conversation. Kids have the most interesting things stewing in their heads.
I wanted to be a commercial artist and a mom of a big family. At least I accomplished one of those!
I love your Ben. It's amazing how their minds work! No kidding, I wanted to be two thing growing up, a first grade teacher (because I loved my first grade teacher Mrs. King so very much), and a wedding planner.
I don't know if Ben would enjoy either of those.
Wow, that is stress...trying to decide what to become. I still lie awake at night trying to figure that out ;)
I love Ben!! I think he should be a songwriter--he already has come up with some hits. I'm pretty sure you don't have to kill anyone. He could also be a park ranger-you are still a police officer but you just may have to shoot an occasional raccoon.
What a fun kid he is. I always wanted to be an archaeologist. I thought it would be all digging up bones and ruins.
I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up - or if I even want to grow up!
Ben already is a soldier. Remind him about Moroni and the Title of Liberty.
Thanks for sharing one of the most delightful, heart-tugging and at the same time laugh-out-loud glimpses into the great mind and heart of a precious little man child.
Oh my goodness, he is so precious. Honestly. Sigh.
Tell Ben he can be a farmer, and have a dog. An outside dog won't bother him. Also, I will come live with him and help him farm. That would be my dream. Can we have chickens and ducks too? Grammie
Yay for sleeping in till 7! I hope it happens more often for you!
Ben is such an amazing kid! I love his serious conversations and how genuine he is about everything!
Post a Comment