Friday, January 11, 2008

Princess Jekyll and Miss Hyde


My beautiful baby girl has a split personality. I'm afraid it's true. On the one hand, she is about as "girly" as they come. She loves to carry around a purse. She is so very motherly to her baby dolls (of which she has a plethora). She loves to wear necklaces and bracelets, etc. She loves shoes. She completely adores her daddy. She can be soooo sweet and gentle, with loving pats, big hugs, and darling kisses.


Then, there's the other side to her. The side that winds up and whacks you in the face for no reason at all. Often, repeatedly. She's not even upset, usually. I'm not sure what possesses her. She has had lots and lots of practice apologizing for this strange behavior. And when this darling little child says so sweetly, "Wahwee" it almost makes up for the whacks.


Now, if this were my only evidence, I would think that she was probably just a pretty normal little girl. However, we happen to have an arsenal of toy weapons (courtesy of her 5 year old brother), and when this sweet little angel gets the toy battle axe in her hands, she has a primal reaction and turns into Miss Hyde. With all of the might of her tiny little body, she violently swings that battle axe back and forth and chases us around the house with her little toddler legs going just as fast as they can. And, if you actually get caught, you will be shown no mercy. (I promise to add a movie clip of this in the very near future!)


There is a warrior inside of this little Princess package. I kind of like it. I definitely want her to remain feminine, but I'm comforted (and admittedly, a bit impressed) to know that she has what it takes to defend herself! All Princesses could probably use a bit of that, don't ya think?

12 comments:

Dory said...

Definately! I love being able to say "Ya, she's a princess but she can hold her own!" I don't think it's just Brianna that's going through a hitting rampage, Liam is doing the same thing. I just breath and wait for it to pass (In about a year). Have fun :)

Becky said...

I just sat down and did a lil catch up on your blog from early December. Wow. The entries were quite a varied. Really had my emotions going this way and that! As usual, I enjoy your insight.

Loved your family picture on Christmas Eve!!!

Love to you all,
Aunt Becky

Anonymous said...

All little girls should have brothers, it introduces them to the world of survival. I think the talent is there in all children, but boys have the tools readily available. Good for Brianna, now you have to learn how to channel and control(somewhat) that killer instinct! Good luck! MOM M.

Anonymous said...

It is hard to believe someone that sweet could wield such a blow. Maybe you should consider enrolling her in a girls hockey team. .... In a few years of course. Wasn't she pretty good on the ice? mom c

Jen said...

A little spunk is a good thing! I love the story.

Kate said...

She is such a character! I love her! Seth was the most violent at this age than the rest of us; we had to teach him to say "On Guard!" so he wouldn't catch us by surprise. =)

Mama D said...

I agree with your Mom M. (I have a Mom M, too, so I had to clarify in my own mind to whom I was referring!)

Girls with brothers just have a more pronounced survival instinct! It happens with the youngest child too; they just seem to need to keep up with the older sibs and really don't seem to know there are some things they can't or shouldn't (yet) do... (Boy! Brianna fits BOTH those categories. No wonder she's such a warrior princess!)

Your post about Brianna reminded me so much of Laura. If there's a wrestling match or a game of tag going on around here, 9 times out of 10 Laura is involved... and at least 6 (7?!) times out of 10 she *instigated* it!! She definitely holds her own with the boys and older kids!

Anonymous said...

Have you sent notice to Grand Junction so they can prepare for her coming. I think it only fair. She is so fun on the phone. I wish I could understand what she is thinking and what she is saying.

Papa D said...

Like Mama, I thought you were talking about Laura.

Yes, I want my girls to be able to stand up for themselves. Absolutely.

Patty said...

Isn't it great to have such a wonderful, strong daughter? At times I've been frustrated and even exhausted by Aimee, but I've found that her strong will and personality are things to admire and encourage.

gordonfan said...

Look at it on the bright side. She will be very adept at weapon brandishing once she reaches dating age

Anonymous said...

I shall remain unconvinced that that sweet little princess could properly wield a battle ax until the video proof is provided. :-)