There used to be a commercial on TV that I HATE. It was for some carpet spot cleaning product, and it featured various family members spilling a variety of stain-producing items on the beautiful light-colored carpet. Without fail, the perfectly composed, mother, with her lovely combed hair, says through her unforced, natural smile, with her white, shiny, straight teeth, in a sing-song voice, "Oh, that's O.K."
I'm not entirely sure why it caused such a total sense of loathing within me. Perhaps, it is because I was raised in a home that did not have a lot of money, and so it was drilled into us to take care of what we had. Perhaps, it is because my own nature is usually to kick into crisis-mode (which usually includes a bit of "OH NO!", "Oh GREAT.", or even at times, "OH CRAP!!) and take care of the mess, and then to follow up with reassurances that I really do love the perpetrator more than the carpet or whatever else was threatened or even ruined (sometimes after having to pause and remember this fact). So, maybe, to me, her reaction just seemed SOOOO staged; so unlikely in the real world; so irritatingly imperturbable.
In the same way, I used to not like Job. Yep, Job. The Old Testament prophet who is the ultimate example for enduring trials well. Ya. Not my proudest moment, but I really had a problem with a guy who could lose his whole family (with the exception of his wife) and pretty much all that he possessed, and say, "Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." (Job 1:21) I guess to me, it seemed dismissive of the significance of what he had lost. It echoed, in my mind, the sing-song, "Oh, that's O.K."
Admittedly, however, that was before I ever took the time to actually READ the book of Job. All I had ever heard from the book of Job was the verse I just quoted above. Now, however, I loooove Job. I am reading the book of Job for the second time now. The first time I read it, I literally could hardly put it down. Admittedly, (as with a lot of the Old Testament) there is stuff in there that I don't get, but I definitely understand most of it, and the over-all feeling is unmistakeable. Job did not in any way, shape or form dismiss the significance of his loss. From the depths of his soul he grieved. His soul was peirced, and he longed for death rather than to endure the pain of his loss.
"Wherefore is light given to him that is in misery, and life unto the bitter in soul;
Which long for death, but it cometh not; and dig for it more than for hid treasures;
Which rejoice exceedingly, and are glad, when they can find the grave?"(Job 3:20 - 22)
On top of this, in the midst of his mourning, his so-called friends called on him; supposedly to offer their support and condolences, but in reality -- not understanding the depth of his loss, his grieving, or of the workings of the Lord -- they add to his pain through their unfounded accusations and judgements.
"BUT Job answered and said, Oh that my grief were throughly weighed, and my calamity laid in the balances together!"(Job 6:1 - 2)
He was in physical, emotional, mental, spiritual, as well as social agony. Even his wife tempts him to "curse God, and die." (Job 2:9) The true beauty of Job, and the reason that he is the paramount mortal example of enduring trials is that he never lost his faith in the Lord. No, Job did not endure his immense trials without complaint. Personally, I love that he complained. Sometimes trials are hard, really hard, and pretending that everything is o.k. when it's not, does little to actually make things o.k.. Job actually did a LOT of complaining, or rather, speaking from the pain of his soul. There was no sing-song, "Oh, that's O.K." attitude. But there was a deep and abiding testimony that he and all he had (and had lost) was in the care of the Lord.
Yep. I love Job. He keeps things real.
14 comments:
Wow Leslie-- you really woke me up! What a great way of explaining the humanity of it all. Love you and all your blogs----
I'm printing this off and sending it to Neal. I love you.
Mom
I like it when the famous prophets complain too. It makes me feel a little more holy! I understand your feeling though. It's so not easy to feel like you have to be perfectly perky even through the hard times.
I have a dear friend that I also am printing this off and sharing with. Leslie you are wonderful. Another thought, I think you should share our Ether lesson on your blog. The one you sent to me oh so long ago when you where still in Salt Lake. MOM M.
I love how YOU keep it real! You have such wonderful insights and a great talent for sharing them.
Now your Mom has peaked my curiosity about the Ether lesson...
I feel your pain. To me it's like these attractive, physical specimans pushing weight loss products because they just cant seem to lose that pesky 1/2 pound.
Thank you for showing me the big picture that we really don't have anything to complain about
You're stealing my Sunday School lesson! Just kidding, although I am planning on discussing a similar theme with Nephi this Sunday. I love your insights, thanks for sharing them so beautifully.
Leslie, another amazing and thought-provoking post! Thanks for sharing. I knew Job didn't have an "oh, that's ok" attitude, but I am grateful for the reminder that he was faithful in his trust in the Lord and his testimony. Job's example helps me face my own trials with hope and faith.
I also want to hear the Ether lesson, and to hear Dory's lesson on Sun! Share your insights on your blog, Dory! (I'll get Corrie's thoughts on it, though, so it's all good.)
Nice. You always make me think!
Doesn't it make ya feel good to know even prophets complain! Of course, they have much bigger problems than I ever could imagine or want. But, hey, a complaint is a complaint. And my burdens may not compare to theirs, but, mine are huge to me.
But, I know, that because of people like Job, and Leslie, and Jamie, and Sarah, and every other good woman (all of them in the ward..but too many to type) I CAN and WILL get through my probs. :D
Glad you are digging deeper into scriture reading. I too will do that some day! :D
Thanks for sharing!
I HATE all of those cheesy, no ones mom is like that commercials. Makes us look bad!! Sheesh
Awesome insights, Leslie. Do mind if I borrow it for another blog?
It is so wonderful to know that no matter what happens in our lives, the Lord has suffered all, and will be there to understand and give us the strength we need. Thanks for the post and for adding a bit of spiritually in my busy day.
Thanks! Love your thoughts. People are just not very thoughtful these days and it fills my soul and mind to read your blog. Have a great day.
Oh Crap?
You're such a sinner
Post a Comment