Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A Sampling of the Maaany Reasons I'm Glad I Wasn't A Pioneer!

Occasionally, I get into this mode of thinking of all of the many reasons that I'm grateful that I live now, and that I was NOT a pioneer. Here are some of my thoughts/reasons:

NOW: With contacts, my legal blindness is practically a non-issue.
THEN: My legal blindness would be debilitating.

NOW: In the heat of summer, I enjoy the cool of air conditioning, wearing shorts, deodorant, Icee's, etc.
THEN: Loong dresses, body odor, sweat, certainly no flip-flops, etc.

NOW: I hate to do laundry now, and all I have to do is put it into the washer, put it into the dryer, and then hang, fold, or iron it.
THEN: Can you imagine????? Ugh! No wonder they didn't have large wardrobes!!

NOW: I get into my airconditioned (or heated) car and drive wherever I need to go.
THEN: Well, there's a reason the song says, "Pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked." (Don't get me wrong, I love a good walk for pleasure or exercise. But mandatory walking?? Please! Count me out!) Oh, and the horse and buggy thing, . . . really not too appealing. Especially if you're down-wind of the horse!

NOW: Feminine products, disposable diapers, etc.
THEN: Double UGH!!!

NOW: Medicine, pain relievers, toothpaste, etc.
THEN: Death. Pain. Rotten teeth. Etc.

NOW: Digital Cameras.
THEN: Daguerrotypes.

NOW: When we're curious about something we look it up with our high-speed internet.
THEN: I guess you'd find the nearest gossip or know-it-all and ask. I guess there were some libraries back then, but probably not very accessible.

NOW: James will get paid with money.
THEN: James would have been paid with peaches, bread, or other tradeable goods. (Although I do love peaches and bread! :)

NOW: Indoor plumbing.
THEN: Out-houses; streams; bushes; etc.

So, . . . what things are you grateful for NOW that they wouldn't have had THEN??

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

TiVo.

Seriously. They missed a lot of great programming out on the trail.

Corrie- said...

I think about this a lot too! I sometimes think I would have been a terrible pioneer. As much as I liked being on the trek, I knew I was eventually going to get a shower and a potty that I didn't have to dig. I'm right there with you about the feminine products and the flip flops. I'm also grateful for microwaves instead of firepits fuled by animal by products. I enjoy pants/capris. I don't think that was an option for women. And I like my bed that is piled high with a mattress and mattress covers, a featherbed and high quality sheets. I believe pioneers usually slept on the ground in the same clothes they walked all day in. I feel blessed.

Pampered Princess said...

I like ice. I love a few cubes in my Diet Coke every day.

I like ice cream. I know pioneers had ice cream. But, how often???

I also love my furnace. Two Januarys ago, our furnace died. It took over a week before we figured out how to "afford" a new one and have it installed. For several days, we used space heaters. Then, we got a fireplace insert from Shane's parents. It made the family room and kitchen really hot. But, all day I had to FEED THAT DARN FIRE!!!! The novelty of it wore off really fast.

The last thing I LOVE is my shower. Hot cascading water. What a blessing. I can shower everyday. Twice if I want. Can you imagine going across the prairie with no running water, much less a hot shower..... ick.

Andi Sherwood said...

Ditto to everything you mentioned - particularly the contacts and feminine products and diapers.

I am also appreciative of modern day medicine. My husband has Chron's disease and if we had lived back then, he would have been dead.

Ooo... don't forget epiderals. Those rock. :)

And books.

And women's rights. :)


:)

Steve and Jamie said...

I thought about saying my i Pod, but I don't have one. (I loved stealing my sister's when they visited though!) So instead I'll have to say my cd player. How cool is it that I don't even have to read anymore. I can just put a book on cd in the cd player, get on my treadmill and walk, and walk, and walk . . .

Shayleen Lunt said...

I like my cell phone. I live across the country from my fam', but get to talk to them daily. I can talk to them in my car, at the grocery store or while I'm outside with my kids. So convenient! Oh, and on (kind of) the same note - aviation! I can visit whenever we think we have the money too ;)

Andi Sherwood said...

A quick note to Steve and Jamie - iPods just dropped in price and they have reconfigured them and brought out a new one. Go to www.apple.com to check them out. Maybe you can get one now! I love my iPod. :)

:)