Sunday, August 14, 2011

Let's Play Catch ... Up

So, seriously, where did summer go?  My kids go back to school in a week and a half.  They are excited (or is that me?)  So, what did we do in the summer time?

Let me sum up:
Brianna had a birthday, turning 5 years old!!  She is growing up so much! 
Things I admire about Brianna:
* She is able to speak up, no matter the situation, in order to get help/information, get a random kid on the playground in trouble with his/her parent, voice needs/wants/likes/dislikes.  This is a skill that I admire greatly, because it is incredibly difficult for me to do, even as an adult.
* She is fun.  She just attacks life with a fun, playful, and intense attitude!  Sometimes I think I've forgotten how to be fun; I'm pretty sure that's part of why God sent Brianna to me -- to help me remember. :)
* She has a kind heart, and quickly forgives.
* She has a smile that lights up a room, and a laugh that makes the sun shine!

Brianna starts kindergarten this year, and is SO excited!  I took her school clothes shopping the other day, and she was so cute about it all.  She had very definite opinions about the clothes, but fell in love with nearly EVERY shirt that she saw.  I had to limit her choices for her.  During the limiting process, she explained to me multiple times that her teacher would be SO disappointed if she didn't get this or that item. She felt so important and happy as we shopped that she literally was skipping down the corridors at the mall. 

O.k., so this is sort of a mish-mash of catch-up. 

Ben started the summer with a week at his Grandpa and Grammie's, which he LOVED!  (He has since expressed that he wishes THEY were his mom and dad). 
He and Brianna then had a week of soccer camp, with a week of golf camp following for Ben.  Ben decided on his birthday this year that he wanted to take up the great game of golf.  He really enjoyed the lessons, but hasn't had much of a chance to practice his skills yet.
Throughout the whole summer, my kids have been blessed to be able to have swim lessons at a friend's pool, with a girl in our ward teaching them.  They have both made a lot of progress this summer, and while Michael Phelps they are not, they can both pretty safely enjoy a pool now.

Things I admire about Ben:
* He is really growing up.  He is no longer a young child, and yet, he's not a teenager.  He is sort of caught in the in-between stage (I suppose that this is what people call the 'TWEEN' stage, but I don't like that word.).  Sometimes he is so grown-up, and his conversation and his humor just delight me.  But there is still enough of a child inside that needs time to play and imagine and explore. 
* He enjoys yard work.  (That doesn't mean that he does a lot of it, but he does enjoy it.)  I think he gets a lot of satisfaction out of trimming a shrub, and being able to see the immediate results of his work. 
* His gospel understanding still continues to amaze me.  He really understands far beyond his years.

This summer we also were able to attend my family's GrandKid's Birthday Bash where we all gathered at a Barn/Lodge-ish facility and camped and waterskied and jetskied in celebration of all of the Grandkid's birthday's on my side!  It was a wonderful time for all who were able to come!

We had one of my brothers and his family come for a visit, and we ran them ragged with a Brazilian feast and jetskiing!  It was so fun to have them here!

We attended our neice's baptism and visited with James' side of the family which was super fun and special.  Brianna and two of her girl cousins (and two other girls) sang at the baptism and did a beautiful job!

James ran a half-marathon that he had been training for all year and did 2 minutes better than his goal-time, which was a lofty goal!!  I am SO proud of him!  He did that yesterday, and is pretty darn sore today.  After his race, we came back, grabbed our jetskis and met our good friends at the lake for a fun time!  We played until the sun went down!

Coming up this week is some girl-time for my mom, sisters, sisters-in-law, and me!  Can't wait!  Then, the next week, James and I will escape to celebrate our anniversary in Bryce Canyon, at my best friend from High School's parent's bed and breakfast!

In the midst of all of this, we unexpectedly found out we were pregnant!  What?!  Who knew that that particular marital activity between James and I could actually produce a pregnancy??  Crazy, eh?  Well, as it turns out, it was not a viable pregnancy (meaning no baby actually formed) and I ended up having a d&c in mid-July.  It was sad and difficult, and we still have pangs of sadness at the loss sneak up on us, but overall we have recovered well and are moving forward, ever grateful for the two beautiful children God has blessed us with.

Whew!  No wonder I'm tired.

5 comments:

Lindy-Lou said...

Whew is right!!! THe summer has flown by. It's a little scary how fast time is moving. That was really fun to review your summer with you. You have wonderful children, and you're right, they're smart, too. Can't wait to see you again so soon! And James' time was impressive! He's amazing.

Steve and Jamie said...

How I miss you!

First of all, I'm so sorry about your miscarriage. Sometimes life just isn't fair, is it? I hope that you can continue to find strength and peace.

Second of all, how the heck can Ben be old enough to be a tween? I just can not wrap my brain around that idea. . .

Patty said...

Wow- that's quite a summer! I'm so glad you've had so many happy moments with great memories made.
I'm really sorry to hear about your miscarriage. It's hard not to get your hopes up, isn't it? And then to have them dashed again almost seems cruel. I'm sorry for your pain.
I have to echo what Jamie said... I can't even picture Ben as a tween!! Has it been that long already??! Your kids are really amazing.

Anonymous said...

I have missed your posts....but I understand why....no time...summers are meant to be that way...I love your family and pray for you always. You and James are such great parents...I am sorry for your loss...I know that Heavenly Father will continue to bless you all...love you....Cindy

Jesse C said...

Such a great summer.

So glad we could share some of it with you.