Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Feeling Crafty

Do I know how to sew? No. Not really. I can sew a straight line, but that's about it. When my son fell in love with this fabric (he carried the bolts around the store), and begged me to make him a blanket, it raised all those feelings of inadequacy as a parent and homemaker. So, what did I do?? I decided that, hey, it couldn't be that hard, could it?? And I bought all of the supplies to make a blanket.

I whipped this baby out yesterday. It really wasn't that hard! And, with the left-over fabric, I made a pillow to match!
He picked the green fabric because, as he explained, it looks like the dinosaur's scales!

Last week, I had this brilliant plan to cover some cork board bulletin boards in cute fabric to hang in the play area, and to display the kid's art work. I think they turned out pretty cute! I LOVE the monkey fabric! (We have yet to hang them on the wall.)

With a large scrap, I made a valence. (It's a wonder what you can make by sewing a straight line.) Sorry this picture is so dark!

And, with the other scraps, I made more pillows!

I think my crafty craving has been satisfied for now. It's really too bad that I can't seem to figure out how to follow a pattern to save my life. Just give me squares, rectangles, and straight lines, please!

P.S. - Don't look too closely, because I probably should have said, "relatively straight lines."

11 comments:

John said...

Hey, I know a source for some great monkey light switch plates to match the monkey bulletin board!

Very cute.

Nice work, Les,

Tiffany said...

I am so--make that SEW--impressed! I love all of them.

And, yes, I also know of a source for monkey light switch plates should you need them...

Patty said...

That sounds like the kind of sewing I do! (And the only kind I've found that I enjoy!) Everything looks great! I love the monkey fabric too! Good job!

Lindy-Lou said...

Oh, so cute! Isn't it fun to go beyond your comfort zone a little - especially when it works so well!

Jen said...

Wow.

Impressive!

Anonymous said...

I AM SOOOOOO IMPRESSED! MOM M.

Steve and Jamie said...

You've been holding out on me. I am shipping all my sewing projects out to you pronto--including the quilt that has been partially created for at least 5 years. I have ADD and I can't seem to finish a project once I've started it.

I promise you won't have to sew a curved line.

heather said...

That is quite impressive. I haven't been near a sewing machine in so long I don't think I could even sew a straight line. I'd spend all day trying to get the thread in.

chelle said...

Sweet! I love your straight-rectangular-squarish sewing projects. They look amazing. I am with Jamie...I am sending my things out your way! :D

Mama D said...

Adorable projects! You did a great job. Your play room will look fantastic!

Becky said...

Way to go Leslie! I think you are ready for curves now! :)