Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ben Ben

Ben has caught several living creatures since our move! Here is a praying mantis.

He was a BIG bugger (no pun intended) and he was ready for a fight!

Here is an ENORMOUS tiger swallowtail butterfly! Isn't that beautiful?
Ben went fishing right near our home, and caught THREE blue gill. They were T-H-A-T B-I-G!! James and Ben brought them home and James filleted them. Unfortunately, it ended up just looking like fish potato chips.

And, here is a little snake that he caught. Actually, James caught it, but Ben claims the credit. This little snake was Ben's pet for about 24 whole hours. Then, it somehow got stuck to the masking tape that was on the inside? of the homemade "cage". Then mommy had to cut the tape to free the snake (with two pieces of tape permanently attached to the snake). Then, Ben decided to let it "hunt" for food in our lawn. Then Ben was very upset that he couldn't find the snake. Then mommy came in the back yard to help. Then everyone realized that we were all locked out of the house. Then we broke in through the window. -- We never found the snake.

I seem to be having trouble locating our pictures of the pretty good sized toad that Ben caught in our backyard. Apparently, one of a toad's defense mechanisms is to promptly pee all over it's captor. Very effective. The toad was set free.

*********

It is common to find a "store" set up somewhere in our home, with Ben trying to sell some of his toys. Who might the customers be, you might ask. . . . Us. The parents. The ones who actually purchased the toys (at least most of them.) And he gets soooo frustrated when we don't want to pay him for his toys. In this picture, apparently his Daddy took pity on him, and bought one of the toys.
Ben's confidence and willingness to try new things has grown dramatically since our move. I attribute this to more "Daddy Time". Here Ben is, doing bungee cord jumping on a trampoline at a festival we attended. He loved it and even did flips and everything. We have since put him in gymnastics and he is loving it. Ben loves to make his mom and dad smile (and his sister, too.) He does funny things, like dressing up silly; but also, lately, he has taken to cleaning different rooms in the house without being asked. He actually does a good job. Recently, when he was sick and home from school, he cleaned three rooms, then came to me and said, "Would you like a tour of the cleanness?"


It is not uncommon to find these sorts of pictures on James' phone. Hmmm, I wonder who might have taken that picture??

10 comments:

chelle said...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww! What a brave mom getting close enough to take pics of those critters!
That is totally awesome Ben is growing more confident in his abilities.

heather said...

I sure miss that kid. Colin loved those "stores" He's raised his prices though. It used to be everything was a penny. I guess he is aiming toward a different customer base.

Tiffany said...

I. Love. Ben.

The store cracks me up, and reminds me of Christian. What? You don't want to buy the toys you bought for me? Why not?

JAMES M said...

Leslie didn't put the picture of the most recent turn of events in Ben's entrepeneurship. I just got a bill from him. That's right. I came home and found a paper on my pillow with a lego droid on a little racer he made with the following note written (with cute backward letter "S"), "Please pay Ben 1 dollar (with a drawing of a dollar bill) or 4 quarters (with a drawing of 4 coins)." Of course, he got his money.

And in Ben's latest move of confidence, when I was beginning to wonder if he would ever dare ride a bike without training wheels, he asked me to buy him a kickstand, which I did, and tonight we took of the training wheels and he started learning how to ride! He did great. I'm so proud of my growing little boy.

Lindy-Lou said...

What did people do before blogs and email with pics????
Thanks sooooo much for sharing the everyday moments. Ben is really growing up. He's a lucky little boy.

Shayleen Lunt said...

Remember when I told you that Olivia asked if she could marry Ben? I am realizing that it could be the perfect relationship! Olivia LOVES bugs/creatures and anything that gives me the heeby jeebies! She also loves to play store with real money (she knows it has to be her money though ;)
-------------------
I should have warned you about Parenting lesson #114768! I got that one last year. I still sometimes forget it though ;)
--------------------
The craftiness is adorable! Your blankets are so cute and I love the peg boards. Could you seriously post some instructions on that? I may do that in our basement to cover some of the beautiful wood paneling that makes up our walls ;)

Page said...

I love little boys and their bugs! That is quite the variety of creatures. We caught a scorpion and Daniel got really upset when I wanted to kill the creeepy little thing.

Jen said...

Oh, how I wish my boys would clean things up voluntarily and offer tours of "the cleanness." You've got a sweet deal!

Mama D said...

Ben is an amazing boy! How wonderful that he is becoming more confident.

And he is very popular - Laura said for years that she would marry Ben. Olivia would have to wait in line and they'd both have to wait for Ben to choose... And that could be a while since he is in the typical boy phase of "girls are icky." He wouldn't even stand next to Laura for a quick picture before y'all moved! :)

Papa D said...

Have I told you that kid is hilarious. Maybe it's a good thing he and Laura can't grow up together. I can't imagine the trouble they would get into.