Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Gone Too Soon

My heart aches tonight for our dear friends and neighbors from our last home. They lived right across the sidewalk from us in our townhome condominium complex. They are wonderful, genuine people. There is no pretense with them. They were welcome in our home -- no matter what state it was in -- and the feeling was mutual. We loved hanging out with them.
They moved away one year before we did, and we missed them terribly. They had one child, a beautiful daughter, when they moved. They have since added three boys and a baby girl, with another child on the way. They love and adore their children, and are amazing parents.
We received an e-mail from them today telling us that their eight-month old daughter passed away unexpectedly yesterday. I cannot even imagine. I am grateful that they have the gospel, and that they are sealed to their little one. I am sure that is comforting, but I'm sure there is still an awful ache, or perhaps, a fearful numbness.
They live far from us, and they were far from home, visiting family when it happened. I do not have a phone number or an address for where they are currently staying, so I cannot even send anything. I want to do something to help, but it seems all I can do is to pray for them. Not that I'm underestimating the power or importance of prayer, it's just that it doesn't seem like enough.
And so I ask you, please hold your loved ones a little closer and a little longer tonight, in memory of baby Esther.

There are pictures of their beautiful children at this site: www.hibbertfamilypics.blogspot.com

10 comments:

Mama D said...

This made me cry. I am going to go hold my children right now...

Corrie- said...

My Dear Friend Leslie, certainly prayers are in order and will be needed for a long time. How we are mourning with them and you now. You're completely right, thank goodness for the gospel, it does take the sting away after awhile. In my experience, a true friend will continue to ask 'how are you really doing' and say 'I'm still thinking about you and praying for your burden to be light' long after the funeral service and the flowers are gone. As a person who has lost someone special, my biggest fear is that my special person will be forgotten by others. Esther was a beautiful baby. Know that everyone effected will be in our prayers tonight. Love you!

Tiffany said...

Oh my goodness, Les. How tragic. My heart goes out to them and you too. Take care.

Papa D said...

I wrote a similar post when my niece died unexpectedly. May you and your friends (and all who know of this loss) rely on the solace and hope of the Gospel - the Good News that says they will be together again someday.

Patty said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's got to be hard to not even be able to contact them to offer condolences. What a sad reminder to us to cherish our children.

Anonymous said...

Leslie, how tragic. My heart aches for your friends. It certainly makes us all pause and count our blessings.

chelle said...

Makes one stop and pause. This brought tears to my eyes. For all those who have lost loved ones. Especially little ones. It is heart wrenching. Thanks goodness for the gospel! So glad they (and you) have it as part of your lives.
BIG HUG!
Prayers are what will get the family through! So a prayer is no small 'gift' to give them. :D

Anonymous said...

I remember the Hibbert family, very small family back then. Of course my prayers are with them, that is the only and best thing any of us can do. I know that they feel the effects of all the prayers, it is tangible and real.If you find an address for them I would love to send them a card. MOM M.

James said...

that is so sad. I just looked at the pictures of that little girl and my heart dropped down into my stomach.

ANTSYLLI said...

My heart aches with yours. I will remember you and your friends in my prayers.