Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2008 Small and Simple Resolutions


When I was twelve years old, I made a commitment to read the scriptures everyday-- even if it was only one verse. I did very well with this, though many times, for many years, it was just a verse a day. Fortunately, this had the effect of forming a habit of daily scripture reading, and I even reached the point of not being able to sleep at night until I had read the scriptures. More importantly, it created within me a love for the scriptures, and I have truly rarely missed a day of contact with the scriptures since I was twelve.


This year, as I pondered setting New Year's Resolutions (and remembering all of my failed resolutions) I remembered this experience, and hoped that this sort of approach might carry over into other areas of my life. So, here are my resolutions:



This year I will exercise five minutes a day! (Who doesn't have 5 minutes a day to exercise -- just like who can't read one verse per day? Hopefully it will grow into a love for exercise)




This year I will eat, and feed my family, one vegetable and one fruit per day! (Hopefully this will grow into the five a day, but you've gotta start somewhere right?)




This year I will make my bed each day!




This year I will keep my kitchen sink clean each day!



I am well aware that these are integral parts of many women's lives and personalities, but I have much room to improve. So, here's to the hope that out of small and simple things, great things will come to pass!!

10 comments:

Andi Sherwood said...

You have made my day. I am so glad that I am not the only one lacking in each of those areas. Good luck! I know you can do it.

:)

Anonymous said...

Great idea. And a sound one. Thanks for the encouragement. One of my goals is to read books together with Dad - outloud. This morning before we got out of bed we finished Christmas Jars, a book given to us this Christmas from a good friend. I feel so good to have actually finished a book together on the first day of the new year. It seems promising, don't you think? - mom c.

Anonymous said...

Good list and realistic and I thnink it will bring about the desired results. Love you!

Dad C

Corrie- said...

What a good list Leslie, and I love that you have kept a goal since you were 12. What a great legacy for your children. Good Luck, I know you can do it!

Anonymous said...

I love your list. It's inspiring me to make one of my own--small and simple being the key idea.

But what's new? You always inspire me!

carrie said...

great ideas...through small and simple things, eh? but they still sound important and meaningful to you and all working towards a greater goal. i call these actions steps. you have excellent goal setting skills!

Mama D said...

Small and simple things... that is the key. I think I could join you in some of these... just 1 thing in a room or 5 minutes of exercise or 1 verse.

You have some do-able resolutions. I know you will find success!

Patty said...

I love those resolutions!! Guess I'd better work on the sink one... I was working on last night's dishes this morning!!
PS- I LOVE your picture of everyone in their Christmas pj's!!!

Sarah said...

I love your goals. I wish I could make a list that long of things I think I can handle! I believe you can do it.

Dory said...

Way to go Leslie. Good luck. I'm not even ready to tackle resolutions yet.