Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Malt-O-Princess and Director Ben

Today we had our first accumulating snowfall of the season! It was beautiful to look out and see the world transformed into a winter wonderland. The kids, of course, wanted to go out into it. Ben got himself all bundled up, while I was bundling Brianna. I don't have a snowsuit for Brianna, yet. So, I put layer after layer on our little Princess. By the time I decided that she would probably be warm enough, she resembled the Malt-O-Meal kid. She was soooo cute in her little snow boots and winter gear.

Ben had already headed outside, and Brianna was going crazy to join him. So, when I only had my boots left to pull on, I let her out the door, and asked Ben to keep an eye on her for just a minute.

Before I had my second boot pulled all the way on, I could hear her crying. I quickly pulled it the rest of the way on, and headed out the door. Ben was explaining, "I tried to keep her from falling in the snow, but she fell anyway." Sure enough. Poor little Princess! She must have face-planted, because half of her face was covered in snow! I picked her up and dusted off the snow. She was VERY upset, but stopped crying long enough to turn back and say, "Bye, bye" to the world of snow. I do believe that she was communicating that, "Hey, I've tried playing in that cold, white stuff, and it didn't work out. . . . So, what's next on the agenda??"

******************

Playing with Ben is like being on stage with no script, and having a Director tell you every action to make, thought to think, and word to speak. Line by line, moment by moment. No improvisation. Don't try to think or imagine, it's all provided for you, at no extra charge!! I love my son very much, but I don't enjoy this type of play. However, no matter how many times I try to explain that I would like to be able to think of my own things to say and do, I never really make any progress. I think I need a better agent! If I HAVE to follow a script, you'd think that at least I could get it in advance!!!

For example, yesterday's play began like this:

Ben: You are watching a sport, and your favorite player is Blood Swiper.
Me: Blood Swiper??!
Ben: Yes. Now, Blood Swiper is your favorite, and you love all of his moves, so you're always cheering for him.
Me: (tentatively) Go Blood Swiper??!
Ben: Then, you get the chance to meet your favorite player.
Me: Um, Blood Swiper, where did you get your name?
Ben: Mom, in the game you really didn't ask that, OK? It's just his name, OK?

Now, you see my dilemma? Blood Swiper??? Hello? Where did that come from? OK, no more horror movies for Ben! And YOU try cheering for someone named Blood Swiper! I couldn't even shorten it: "Go B.S!" Ya, that would for sure come back to haunt me.

10 comments:

heather said...

Are snow experience went alot like that too. It took longer to dress Kristen than her being outside. Although I'm pretty sure the snow on her face came from the snowball propelled at her "by accident". Good luck on the acting Colin won't even try to play like that with me he says I don't do it right and I guess I'm just not teachable enough. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

You're a great story teller. I feel like I saw the whole thing. Poor baby! Maybe next year. No, wait, does it snow in CO??

And I've played with Ben. I understand your frustration. But that was hilarious. I'm not sure he has a future in improv.

mom c.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That kid's imagination is truly amazing.

I remember when my kids had a little fascination with pokemon and they would try to talk to me about these crazy names. I drove them nuts by pretending I couldn't pronounce them.

"Daddy this is Charzar."
"Chard Hard?"
"NO! Daddy. And this one is Pikachu."
"Peek-a-boo?"
"Ahhhhg!"

You might try that. Flood Wiper? Bud's Hyper?

Anonymous said...

Good blogs. Our elders quorum president was snow blowing the walks the other day and a neighbor said that he was so layered with clothes he had to push the snow blower with one hand and walk side way because he couldn't get both arms around in front to hold on to the snowblower.

Dad C

ANTSYLLI said...

Poor Brianna! That is how I feel about snow...As for Ben, it is wonderful that he has such a good imagination. Ok, so Blood Swiper is kind of weird so I can understand your frustration. However knowing exactly what you want and how you want it is really a good quality. Your blogs are quite interesting to read. They save me from my own boring life.

Andi Sherwood said...

Very cute. :) Boys are so funny. :)


:)

Steve and Jamie said...

You know, I like John's idea. You could try my personal favorite of Bum Wiper.

Thanks for the offer to help, by the way. Tonight's round was won by the parents. (Cue the Rocky music)

Papa D said...

Blood Swiper and a director telling you everything you are supposed to do - I keep saying he and Laura are too much alike; are you sure you and Mama actually gave birth to them . . . never mind; that's not something about which you would doubt. *grin*

Tiffany said...

Oh my gosh, he is so adorable. Even Blood Swiper is adorable. My goodness!

Dory said...

This is so funny. I hear these kinds of exchanges with my kids all the time and am grateful I'm not involved.