I was fired once.
From my job.
As a Pre-school teacher.
For being "the ring-leader" of the bad attitudes among the teachers.
I sincerely hope that most of you who read this are laughing, thinking that I am joking. I sincerely hope that those who know me now, could never imagine this being true. Unfortunately, it is true. It was a good learning experience. One that has continued to teach me.
Let me tell you my side of the story:
When James and I met, I was a pre-school teacher at a private pre-school that I'll call "Ballinger". I loved my job. I loved the children. I loved teaching them. I really loved my job.
When we got married, I requested a transfer to another location in the city where we would be living. The request was granted, and I returned from my honeymoon, and immediately began working at the new location.
This new location had been plagued with mistrust and bad feelings between the teachers and the management. Many of the teachers had been there for at least one year prior to my arrival. There was a unity among the teachers in their dislike of the management, and in their feeling of being mistreated.
At first, I thought this was really weird -- totally different from my experience at the other location. However, it didn't take long for me to start seeing what all of them were seeing. I, too, began to dislike the management, and to feel that we, as teachers, were not being treated fairly. I began to participate in the daily discussions of these feelings and impressions at lunch and at recess.
It seemed that things continued to escalate throughout the school year. Even the management didn't like each other. Our Principal was fired, and the Vice Principal became the Principal. We actually liked the Vice Principal, who was now the Principal. However, we convinced ourselves (and I honestly don't remember if we had any evidence of this) that she was being corrupted by the others in management.
So, imagine my surprise when our now Principal called me into her office. She asked me questions about how I felt things were going at "Ballinger", and what problems I saw. I was candid, and told her my feelings and the things that I thought needed to change in order to improve things.
Well, then she told me that I was fired, and the reason that she gave was that I was the "Ring-Leader" of the bad attitudes. I was shocked! I told her that I thought she was wrong. After all, this problem had existed long before my arrival on the scene. I had only joined in the discussions that were already taking place.
Nevertheless, the firing stuck. I gathered my things and left. I was mad and hurt. I saw myself as the innocent victim. In fact, this firing reinforced my view that they were corrupt in management.
The lesson that I learned early on from my firing was that negativity breeds negativity. And, that when you are actively looking for things to criticize, you will find them. I am amazed, looking back, at how much energy was wasted among us in our criticisms, and at how devoted we were to the practice.
Many years later, another lesson emerged. I realized that although I didn't see myself as the ring-leader, or as any leader at all in that situation, doesn't mean that others didn't see me that way. I was older than most, if not all, of the other teachers. I was a returned missionary. I will never know how things might have been different if I had simply chosen not to participate in the discussions. Or, better yet, if I had found positive things to say, or ways to improve the situation.
So, I have learned that we never really know the depth of our influence. Maybe, without meaning to be, or even wanting to be, I WAS the ring-leader?! I don't know. But I do know that I have tried to be careful to be an influence for good since this revelation. I am by no means perfect, but I do try.
So, are you a "ring-leader" without knowing it??
Family pic 2020
2 months ago
15 comments:
I had a very similar experience at an early job in research at a local hospital we'll just call "Children's." :-) I wasn't fired, but I can look back now and see how my negative attitude was hurtful to myself and others. Recently, my former boss emailed me out of the blue after having come across my law firm's website. I took advantage of the opportunity to let him know how appreciative I am of the job he gave me, and (in so many words) to say I should have been more mature at the time. It was like a weight lifted off my shoulders. Surely another "tender mercy of the Lord" in allowing me a chance to set things straight. All is well. And you're right, I learned a lot from the experience.
Interesting parallel - it was right after my mission, and right around the time I got married. Must be a real time of upheaval in one's personal life!
I can hardly imagine you in such a situation. But I have also seen how powerful it can be when an attitude within a group begins to gain momentum.
I admit I've been on both sides of the positive and negative equation at work. I sure like the positive side better.
Hmm my kids try to fire me all the time..Claiming I am "so mean" , "not fair" and many other things I am sure they say and think behind my back!!
Seriously though, you are one of the sweetest people I know Leslie. I am sure that experience had a lot to do with shaping you into who you are today. Maybe that was the Lord's way of getting you out of the situation before it got any uglier!!
I find myself being too negative A LOT! Terrible habit. =\ I also have a bad habit, thanks to many years of watching AFV for many MANY yrs no doubt, of laughing when people get hurt or mess up in any way. Not like terrible transgression type things..like a word slip or something! ( I am not THAT bad...yet)
I see my kids doing the same things and it scares me when we are out and they see something like that. I don't want their first reaction to be a laugh!
I LOVE to laugh and its great to laugh!
I want to be better!
Thanks for sharing Leslie. Ya got me a thinking..tis a scary thing lol
ohhh.. i am guilty of this at my workplace. Maybe not the ring leader, but i definetly throw my share of wood on the fire. I kindly remind myself to live within my 'circle of influence' rather than my 'circle of concern'. Try to make changes where i can have influence and not concern myself with situations beyond my control. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!
I can see it - Leslie, the covert operative. Actually, I can't.
I had a similar experience when I was a teacher - too long to relate, but close enough to be eerie. Looking back, I realize how my relative youth and passion for perfection contributed to the situation - even though, overall, I really was justified in my frustration. No matter, I didn't handle it very well, at all.
It is very hard to imagine you in that situation. Even though I bet you were completely undeserving, I think you've come out of it with a mature perspective. It will make me think.
I don't ever want to be a ring-leader. Especially without knowing it. Thanks for something to think about.
I remember this season, Leslie, and I was probably your sympathetic listener rather than objective advisor. I am still learning the power of our thoughts, let alone our words, for good or ill. It is a great and dreadful truth that we are what we think.
PS You are one of thee most intuitive, sensitive and wise people I know. Why your younger spiritual sister was chosen to be your mother will always be a mystery to me.
I was shocked by the confession! However, I am pleased to hear that you learned from the experience. I had one very similar and it wasn't so long ago...so I can't blame my youth or inexperience. I didn't lose my job, but was quite uncomfortable for a long time. Your lesson that negativity breeds negativity is right on target and whether we think we are a ring leader or not, if we aren't part of the solution, then we are part of the problem.
In my case, I took a stand on an issue and dared to act. I paid a hefty price for that action. Since that time, I have tried to work hard to come up with positive solutions when faced with problems. Am I a "ring leader"? YOU BET I AM! But now I use my leadership powers for good instead of evil.
Can't imagine someone would want to fire you!! But I am impressed with your maturity and ability to learn lessons from a bad situation that seemed out of your control.
Negativity does breed negativity, and we all influence those around us for good or ill. If I'm ever considered a ring-leader, I hope it would be for positive reasons. I like the thought of being part of the solution, not part of the problem.
You have turned this experience to your own -- and others -- benefit!!
I'm sorry you had to learn this the hard way. I don't think firing you was the best way to handle a bad situation, but I'm glad that you have found a positive side to it. I think that most people have found themselves in an atmosphere that breeds negative attitudes.
I appreciate your good example for me now! I really admire your positive attitude.
You're going to have to try harder than that to shatter our image of you as such a wonderful woman! The fact that you took that experience and learned from it, rather than becoming bitter or resentful shows your great character.
I read this early on- right after you posted it and I've been thinking about it ever since. You've made me realize that we each have a choice everyday about how we react to situations around us. This would include our attitudes with our family members too. Am I a ringleader to put down a child who I think (right or wrong) isn't putting forth their best effort? or am I a cheerleader for the family and helping them to rise up to meet the challenges in their own life?
Thank Leslie I always enjoy your thoughts.
Just wondering if you were wearing elf ears when you got fired. (Yes, everyone, there is a reason for that question. You'll just have to wonder what it is for now. *grin*)
I really thought this was a joke at first because you are the least negative person I think I know. You have taught me by example to have a more positive outlook on life.I'm more comfortable in the follower role rather than leader but either way it's good to be aware of what we are following or leading for that matter.
Post a Comment