When I was on my mission in Michigan, I found the multitude of lawn decorations bizarre, and slightly humorous. One day, after seeing, perhaps the hundredth dressed up cement goose, I said to my companion, "If I ever have a cement goose on my porch, just shoot me!"
Well, when James and I got married, this companion, along with some of the other sisters we served with, pitched in and bought us . . . yup, you guessed it . . . a cement goose! He came complete with two separate outfits.
Being the good sports that we are (and not knowing what else to do with him) we named him 'Butch' and put him on our front porch. He was our "Guard Goose." Now, back East, this is acceptable. Out West, however, well, . . . let's just say Butch was a great conversation piece. We actually grew to accept and to love our Butch.
You may have noticed that I have been using the past tense. Not long after we moved back East, where Butch actually found some acceptance, there was an unfortunate accident involving a small porch, several bags of garbage, and James' derriere knocking Butch off of the porch. It was ruled as 'unintenional goose-i-cide'.
Well, today, I came across a letter I wrote to a dear friend after I received her thoughtful sympathy card regarding Butch. I share it with you now, in loving memory of Butch:
"You guys are the best. We can't tell you what your support means to us in this trying time. It's hard,...everyday when I go and come, I am flooded with memories of Butch. (It probably doesn't have anything to do with the fact that we haven't quite disposed of his carcass yet.) He was such a good guard goose. Always at his post. Never a single complaining "honk" escaped his beak.
"He stood there through sweltering heat and freezing cold. He never let down his guard, even with children playing with him, or migrating flocks of geese flying over head. He was always such a good sport when I found it necessary to challenge his ganderhood by dressing him up in festive outfits. When friends and neighbors would ask, "Where'd'ya get the DUCK," Butch never outwardly flinched, though inwardly, I'm sure he boiled with indignation at the insult . Few families are blessed with such a stoic, constant, solid friend.
"I want you to know that you were always among Butch's favorites. It may have seemed to you that he was indifferent, but that was just his way of showing how much you meant to him. I'm positive that he stood a little taller whenever you were around.
"Thank you again for you thoughtful card. Bless you for your kindness."
Family pic 2020
2 months ago
10 comments:
At least the unfortunate demise of our second goose was not caused by my derriere. However, the exact cause is still under investigation.
I was just telling some of my friends the other day about the porch geese of the eastern United States. They didn't get it. They are not worthy of a Butch.
Touching tribute, Leslie. Absolutely heart-wrenching.
That was awesome. Thanks for being a smile to my day. :)
:)
I have to admit I am wiping a tear from my cheek. I miss Butch even though I never knew him.
I think I'm going to buy my own gaurd goose this weekend. That was very inspiring!
Really though - I never realized it until you said it...I didn't see my first dressed concrete goose until I moved to the Cincinnati area.
You had me laughing!
LOL. I miss your understated sense of humor. And now we must all begin "hunting" for the perfect housewarming gift for Grand Junction. :-)
HOW WELL I REMEMBER BUTCH, DID WE NOT CONTRIBUTE TO HIS WARDROBE? IF WE DIDN'T, WE SHOULD HAVE. LOVE THE MEMORY! MOM M.
I have to say Mark and always mocked the dressed up geese until I suggested it would be better than a dog. No poop, no vet bills...We have since thought having a goose would be great! Sorry for your loss.
Long Live the Porch Geese! I didn't know you ever owned one until this entry, how blessed you were.
I too remember BUTCH well. Everything you said was true of him. He was a very good sport about holiday attire. Mostly I seem to see him in a witches hat. It was his neck that broke, am I right? Do you ever regret not making soup of him? Maybe he would now be in the form of a pot and you would have had him to pass on for potsterity. sorry. that was a lame (duck) attempt at humor.
Post a Comment