Friday, May 4, 2007

The Power of Friendship



RaNae lived next door. Our friendship ended when we were put in different reading groups in 1st grade, and we couldn't agree on who was in the more advanced group.

Wendy lived down the street. Our friendship ended when she heard our dryer buzzer, and asked, "What is that???" Jokingly I answered, "The fire alarm." I had to chase her up the stairs, out the door, and down the street to tell her I was kidding. She never played with me again.

Cheryl lived kitty-corner from us. Our friendship ended when her puppy was hit by a car. (Incidentally, our friendship started when she got the puppy.) I guess I was a little shallow.

Clearly, I wasn't well-versed in the intricacies of friendship. I never understood that you could have a disagreement, or a falling out, and then reconcile. I just figured that I had screwed up, and that was the end of it.

Therefore, I am soooo grateful that Ben has a friend with whom he laughs, plays, imagines, bickers, shares, yells at, etc. They have already had far more serious disagreements than I had with my little friends, and have reconciled time and again.

For example, when Ben was playing the role of Bobo Fett,(pronounced, by them, as Bubble Fat) the bounty hunter from Star Wars, his friend was playing Jenga Fett(Jingle Fat), Bobo's father, and also a bounty hunter.

Friend: "Bubble Fat and Jingle Fat can't be grown up at the same time. Jingle is the dad so he has a weapon. Bubble is the boy, so he can't have any weapons."

Ben: "People like to have weapons."

Friend: "How 'bout we play a different episode."

Ben: "O.K."

I am always so proud to hear them work our their differences.

To have a good friend is such a blessing. To be able to disagree and then reconcile is a beautiful chance to learn from each other, grow, and be stronger than before in the friendship.

I think I'll go call RaNae, maybe we can start a Book Club or something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a favorite quote of mine on this very subject:

Men kick friendship around like a football, but it doesn’t seem to crack. Women treat it like glass and it goes to pieces.
–ANNE MORROW LINDBERGH

Anonymous said...

Everyone should have at least one boy and one girl, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Great story. I think you were my favorite playmate at Ben's age. You were the best at playing Lego people.