Friday, February 23, 2007

Good 'Til 2016

The first Christmas James and I were married (1997), he gave me a pair of shoes that I had tried on and loved when we had been shopping together. They were wonderful! They were comfortable from the get-go. I never had to "break them in"; they never gave me blisters. I could walk in them for hours and my feet wouldn't hurt. They were my 'every day shoes', and I literally wore them nearly every day. At first, I received many compliments on my cute shoes. Somewhere along the line, the compliments ceased.

Last October, when my mother was out for a visit, she mentioned that my shoes could probably use a shoe shine. I told her they had received several in their lifetime and mentioned how long I had had them. I believe she gently teased me about my beloved shoes. Somewhere in the back of my mind, a little voice began to say, "It's probably time to get new shoes when your own mother pokes fun at them."

It only took me four months to finally go shopping for shoes to replace my everyday shoes. There were some stiff requirements for these new shoes: 1) they had to look good with jeans and nice khakis; 2) they had to be very comfortable, without requiring 'breaking in'; 3) they had to slip on and off; 4) they had to be cute; 5) they couldn't cost a fortune.

I found them on clearance at DSW while we were in Utah! Finally, new everyday shoes!




Still, when it came time to pack our things, James asked about my old shoes. I hesitated, thinking of all the good times we'd shared, and about how cruel it seemed to just toss them aside when I'd found some new shoes. Sensing my hesitation, James said firmly, "We're leaving them. You've gotten a LOT of good wear out of them, but they're past their prime." And with that, he tossed them into the garbage.

Farewell old friends! I shall always treasure the years we spent together.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand. Dad

Anonymous said...

There's nothing better than a comfortable pair of shoes. Well, maybe a few things, but comfortable shoes are great, and hard to find, and harder to part with.

Anonymous said...

I understand old, worn, sensible, comfortable. I have developed a kinship with those adjectives. Your shoes will be safe with me. I will shine them up real good before I take them to the "assisted living" center for shoes, commonly referred to in these parts as the D.I.. Some soul with worn out souls will find and give new life to those old friends of yours. There is still some wear left in those soles. Yep, I relate.

Anonymous said...

I have a pair of black boots that haven't been in style since shortly after I bought them, but they're comfortable, so I haven't been able to throw them out.

I bet your old shoes were honored.