Earlier this week I was scrolling through my FaceBook feed, when I came across pornography. I was shocked and saddened that it was posted by a long-time trusted, and respected friend. My first inclination was to give him the benefit of the doubt, and to guess that someone had "hacked" his account. Honestly, I hope that is what happened. However, I realized, if I had seen this on James' account, or on Ben's or Brianna's future accounts, there would be no second chances for that person. And so, I unfriended him. I am sad that it happened, but I feel like I did the right thing.
With that on my mind, today I read an article about pornography. Written by a man who used to be a defender of pornography. He used to work for a magazine that offered "soft porn". It talked about how he has now come to understand how destructive and damaging, addictive and pervasive pornography actually is. How it is totally ruining the rising generation. How their "sex education" is coming from online porn; and how that is twisting their expectations, understanding, and character. It referenced interviews with sexually active teenage girls, and told how disturbing and aggressive their sexual experiences had been, as they and/or their partner was getting the ideas and "know how" from porn. Most of the kids interviewed say that they come across it on their FaceBook feed. How I wish the "no second chances" policy was universal.
I am sickened to realize that we live in a world where my children WILL be exposed to pornography. I can be (and already am) open with my kids, but ultimately they must choose. And, unfortunately, I think Alexander Pope was on target when he wrote:
Vice is a monster of so frightful mien,
As to be hated needs but to be seen;
Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face,
We first endure, then pity, then embrace.
Family pic 2020
2 months ago
3 comments:
I love you, Leslie. You are always teaching me and reminding me of things that really matter.
I have to say that I have missed a lot! I didn't know you were back blogging. I've read all these recent posts, loved the photos, and the updates, the birthday cake (superb), the iron man photos, the tour of your wonderful home. This last post is full of wisdom. God bless you to keep on talking.
Very well said, Leslie. We cannot stop being vigilant. The world is so full of evil things, but good things too. We have to teach our kids to seek the good.
I am commenting just so you will know I am reading. Ditto Grandma Crowley. Love you, Grammie
Post a Comment