Monday, June 10, 2013

Remember me? I used to blog.

Remember when I used to post semi-regularly?  And sometimes I was even funny or insightful?  Those were the days, my friends.

So, .... What is up with you?  It's been so long since we visited.  I hope all is well in your world, and that all your loved ones are safe and healthy!
Us?  Well, let me see...

We now have an Elementary School Grad!  Bring on the middle-schooler tween!  5th grade was an incredible year for growth and maturing for Ben.  He is well-prepared to succeed in middle school!  It is delightful to converse with Ben.  If all "tweens" are as fun and creative and smart as Ben, then I don't know what all the fuss is about.

The Princess turns 7 this week!  She's not the least bit excited.  (Ha, ha!)  I asked her what kind of cake she wanted.  She said a flat chocolate cake (a Texas Sheet Cake).  I asked her what she wanted on it.  She thought for a moment, and then replied, "Hobbiton".  I guess we're raising her right, although, I have absolutely NO idea how to pull off that cake decor.

The fabulous, perfect dog we dearly love, passed away this last Wednesday in the wee hours of the morning.  :(   It was a sad and unpleasant discovery to find his cold, stiff body on my bedroom floor.  This took place while James was away for a week.  I wasn't sure that I could handle taking care of his body (Rascal's body, that is) or the sadness of myself and my children.  Then, I thought of the pioneers who woke to find their husband's or children frozen next to them, and had to bury them in the cold hard earth, and then walk away.  Honestly, I drew my strength and courage to do what had to be done from them.  Sounds silly to compare my situation to theirs, but in the moment, it seemed perfectly applicable.

James just spent his first week at girl's camp in his capacity as High Councilor over YW.  He loved it!  And, I'm pretty sure they loved him, and were incredibly grateful for his assistance.  He is such a fabulous man, and I'm so lucky to have him as my eternal companion!

Me? Hmm, I'm pretty boring.  In fact, whenever Ben says family prayer, the blessing he asks in my behalf is for help in doing the laundry.  I think he believes that's all I ever do.  He should pray for help for me in doing the dishes -- those are usually piled up.  Oh, well.  Besides doing the laundry, I am currently team-teaching the 5-6 year-old's at church.  It's not that big of a class in actual numbers, but--oh my!--in energy/activity/volume/tangent-creating level it's approximately equal to 2500 5-6 year olds!  But they are sweet!  And when we can get them to stay on topic, and to truly answer a gospel question, it is impressive the gospel knowledge that they do have in those amazing little minds.

We love our new home, and our yard, other than the weeds (aaaaah!  Curse the blasted weeds!!).  Our little orchard consists of 4 apple trees, 6 peach trees, 3 pear trees, and an unidentified (maybe plum) tree.  There is currently an open slot in the orchard, where our cherry tree didn't survive the winter.  Then, late frosts lost us most of our peaches.  And, tonight, I counted a total of four--that's 4, as in 1, 2, 3, 4--pears, between all three trees.  That's only one pear for each of us.  What's up with that??  But, our apple trees are bursting!  So, this fall, you know where to come for ripe-straight-off-the-tree apples!  And, we have a nice guest bedroom to accomodate you!

Well, that's enough about us, please tell us more about you!


4 comments:

Jen said...

Aw, I love the update! Sounds like lots of fun over there. I can relate on the prayer thing... the kids seem to pray for me "to get some sleep." I'll take it!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. We are going to come see you guys, so we can see all the tree and everything ourselves.

Unknown said...

Pictures!! Thanks for posting. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Love having you back...heartbroken about your precious pup...love the house...love ya...Cindy