So, why don't I write about Ben much lately? Is he boring? No. Is he in Italy as a foreign exchange student? No. Is he less entertaining than Brianna? No. Is he almost nine, and likely to read anything I write about him? YES. I'm always afraid that I'll cross some line in his mind by sharing things that he does or says with all of you.
But, today I'll risk it with one quick story.
On Valentine's night, when he really should have been in bed, he came down to me with a Valentine in one hand and his scriptures in the other. The Valentine was a religious one from a girl in his class. On the front, it said, "God made us friends." And on the back it had the scripture 1 John 4:16.
"Can you help me look up this scripture, mom? I didn't really look through my Valentines before, just got all of the candy. But I just saw this one, and I want to read that verse."
"Sure, honey." So, together we looked up the verse. 1 John 4:16, "God is love".
"Huh. I didn't know that was in the scriptures," he said.
"Yep." I said.
Then, as he's headed back up the stairs, "I didn't know Ch***** (the girl who gave him the Valentine) was Mormon!"
"Oh, she's probably not. She's probably Christian, but not Mormon."
"Ya, I think you're right. Probably Christian, not Mormon, because it said 'God MADE us friends' and God doesn't MAKE us do stuff. He lets us choose."
9 comments:
Wow. I'm floored. That is incredibly insightful. What an awesome kid.
I just love that age. Creeps me out that i have one that age, but i love in nontheless. Killian right know has alot to say..and shes 3. This will be interesting!
Love it.
I love Ben. So wise, that one.
(And that's exactly the same reason I don't write as much about Christian anymore.)
Can I just say. wow. I'm impressed at his depth of thought.... and how cute! I did think he was in Italy lately, thanks for clearing that one up!
Ha! just thinking about my comment... sometimes I think Keedon is in Italy too!
Ray and I had a good laugh at this story. What insight Ben has. This is a fun age!
How precious. How Ben. Thanks for sharing.
:) too cute!
Post a Comment