Part One:
Toward the end of June, I had my "YEARLY EXAM". We discussed my infertility, and some of the issues my body is currently giving me. My new gynecologist ordered an ultrasound "just to get a look at the structures inside."
Well, as I expected, all my "structures" were perfectly normal. The ultrasound did show, however, that I had gall stones. "O.k.," I thought, "I'll keep that in mind in case I ever have any symptoms."
Over the 4th of July weekend, we were able to see my awesome youngest brother perform with his band, attend my extended family's yearly picnic and fireworks, and take part in the Annual Grandkid's Birthday Bash! It was so fun to be there for everything after missing out on so much for so many years!
Then, since my parents decided to make an offer on a wonderful home, and put theirs up for sale, I decided to stay the week and help them get ready to list their home. We packed things up, rearranged, and "staged" with gusto! It was fun. I'm glad I could be there to help with the process. I think it was a way for me to gain closure with my childhood home.
Then, that Saturday morning, I packed the kids back in the car, and we headed to Vernal, where we met James to attend his family's annual reunion. It was great to be back together with James, and to see the relatives. But I wasn't feeling very well. So, after the picnic, I headed to Grandpa Boyd's to take a nap. When we went to dinner that night, I still didn't feel well, and only ordered a shake (you know, the perfect thing for someone who isn't feeling well.)
We drove home that night, and the next morning, I stayed home from church because I still wasn't feeling too great.
Part Two:
By Monday morning, I felt like maybe I was on the mend, but I did have this annoying, gnawing pain right below my sternum. I sort of remembered my mom asking me a few times, while I was helping her pack, why I was holding my hand to my stomach. "Oh, I just have a little pain," I would respond.
Well, that annoying, gnawing pain continued until on Wednesday night, I asked James if he would examine me. He did the doctor thing, poking, prodding, and tapping my abdomen, until he announced, "Um, I think it's your gall bladder." He suggested I make an appointment with a doctor, especially as we were to be headed back East in just a week. Then, he said I should probably go straight to a general surgeon to be checked.
The next morning, James called to say that he had spoken with a friend who was a general surgeon. This doctor listened to James' story about me, pulled up my ultrasound pictures, and said he wanted to see me at his office at 9 am.
So, the kids and I went to his office. He told me that I had some pretty major gall stones, but that that didn't necessarily mean that we needed to do anything about it. Then he did the doctor thing with the poking and prodding and tapping. He said, "I can feel your gall bladder. I shouldn't be able to feel it. You need surgery. I can do it today or Monday. But with your trip next Wednesday, we better do it today." It was Thursday. He left the room to see what could be scheduled, and came back in to tell me I would be having surgery in three hours.
Part Three:
Gulp! I left and immediately started making phone calls. My good friend here dropped everything to take my kids for the day. James' parents dropped everything to drive six hours to help us out for the weekend. James' scheduler rearranged all of his afternoon patients so he could be with me. James' partner came over to the surgery center to help James to give me a blessing.
Everything was happening so fast, but it was apparent that there were angels seen and unseen who were watching over me.
As I lay in the hospital bed, with the gown open in the back, the thought occurred to me, and I asked James, "So, uh, if I'm wearing the gown with the opening in the back, but they're going to be cutting into me on the front, ...?" James' response? "Don't worry honey, you'll be totally knocked out." .... Comforting.
And then, I knew I would be wheeled into surgery any moment, and I REALLY started to feel panicky. I mean REALLY panicky. I asked James to just talk to me. I have no idea what he said, but the sound of his voice was comforting. I prayed. And I wondered, "Do I really NEED surgery? I mean it's just an annoying pain; I've been putting up with it for a while, I could continue."
About this time, they started wheeling me away, and whatever it was that they had put into my IV was making me feel v e r y s l e e p y. I don't remember anything else until several hours later when I woke up.
As I lay there, I remember thinking, "the pain is the same, but I don't feel so sick." The fact that the pain felt the same to me with FOUR INCISIONS is probably indicative that I maybe should have had things checked out sooner. But, it was only the same when I was laying still. When I moved, the pain was really bad. I couldn't roll over or sit up on my own.
Finally, with James' help, I sat up, and got dressed (I'll leave out the part about me vomiting and about how bad that hurt. I mean, you really don't want to know about that, right?).
James drove me home, and James, his parents, and my kids helped to take care of me for the next several days. On Sunday, James' parents headed home, and my mom came to help out.
I was making progress everyday, but still hurt, and had low reserves. I was/am so grateful that I had so much help, and that my kids and home were well cared for and loved.
Part Four:
When I went to my follow-up appointment on Tuesday, the doctor told me, "When I saw your gall bladder, I couldn't believe you had walked into my office that morning. It was so sick and swollen and angry that I thought it might start throwing punches when I pulled it out!" He explained to me that there was no way I would have made it until Monday to have had surgery.
Apparently my large gall stones had totally blocked my bile duct, and I had developed hydrops. Which means that instead of being a storage unit for bile, my gall bladder had reabsorbed all of the bile, and had filled with a thick watery substance. He said that my gall bladder had probably not been functioning for months.
He also said that I was fine to travel the next day. James agreed. I had my doubts. But my mom helped me pack (I'm pretty sure she had her doubts too), and early Wednesday morning -- post-op day 6 -- we headed out to Virginia, D.C. and PA.
Part Five:
The kids and I toured Jamestown, ate at expensive (and not that great) pancake houses, and bought souvenirs, while James attended a sinus surgery course. Then, on Saturday, we all headed to D.C. where we visited the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, and the Smithsonian (specifically the Natural History and Air and Space museums).
On Sunday evening, James flew back home to go back to work (like we need to pay off all those student loans, or something.) And, on Monday, I had the awesome opportunity to visit one of my favorite mission companions who lives near Baltimore. We had a great visit, and I didn't want it to end. It helps, though, when you're looking forward to the next part of your vacation.
That evening, we drove to PA to visit my sister Tiffany and her wonderful family.
Oh, my, I enjoyed my time with them so much! They are fun and VERY funny, and wise. They were o.k. with my slow pace as we ate delicious food, visited, and made wonderful memories.
Then, we came home -- back to real life, inescapable responsibilities, and the impending school year. So, that's what I did on my Summer Vacation! And, other than the unexpected surgery, it was really great. Even with the surgery, I can see so many blessing surrounding it. The fact that I was able to get in and get it done so quickly; the recent ultrasound showing the gall stones; the people who helped out with no prior notice; the fact that I wasn't SO sick despite being so sick; the timing in relation to our trip (one day less to recover, and I would definitely NOT have been going); the blessing I was able to receive; etc., etc.
So, how did you spend your Summer Vacation?
Family pic 2020
2 months ago
16 comments:
leslie, we have been praying for you. so glad you were able to go and do the summer vaca stuff. Love ya, cindy
Whoa Leslie! I'm so glad that angels are looking over you and that everything fell into place so quickly!
Leslie, I still can't believe how hard you worked to help us get the house ready to sell when you were so sick. You constantly amaze me. We are all so thankful that angels were with you throughout. You are an angel so I'm sure they are very comfortable being with you.
What did I do for vacation? Played nurse! MOM
Wow! I have felt your pain (you have to love that feeling while tracting out investigators)! Glad things were able to fit together so quickly!
First, this was very fascinating to read. I learned some new and terrifying details.
Secondly, I'm so grateful that you were able to come! Honestly, I kept forgetting that you were recovering--you were doing so well! I never should have accused you of being "fragile" all those years ago on the skating rink. ;)
I loved making memories with you!
Wow! What a summer! I'm so glad things worked out for your surgery and that you were still able to enjoy your vacation.
What did I do this summer? I sent a son on a mission, purged, packed, moved, and began unpacking and getting settled in our new home. :)
I am so glad you posted this! I read Tiffany's blog when I need a good pick me up and noticed that she mentioned you had surgery and I have been worried about you since. So glad things went so well with the surgery and that you weren't as sick as you should of been with that! YIKES!
As for my summer. Not too much happening here. The only fun I did was to take each kid alone a few days before surgery. I was very painful, but so worth it.
The last four weeks have been spent mostly in bed. The last couple of days I have been able to go on short shopping trips.
I have to agree with your mom. I am sure the angels were honored to be with you. :)
Well that certainly was a most eventful and unique summer vacation! There are still a few days left. Sounds like you need to relax and enjoy ... and finish recouperating!
I too have had a busy (but not painful) summer! I have watched Little League games. Went to Calgary to meet my newest grandson, Zeke! Had our 39th Anniversary. Went to Las Vegas. Went to the beach in So Cal. Treveled to Portland. I was lucky to see my dad and all my kids and their families in a matter of 4 1/2 weeks!
I am so glad that you are okay now. I was praying for you. You have set a new standard in pain tollerance. None of us can ever complain again. The whole gown thing kind of freaks me out. I am glad there aren't any more details. I would have been so panicky in your shoes. I am sure even more than you were. I am sorry that Kate couldn't go with you to help on your trip. Love you, April
Oh my goodness! I had no idea you had gone through so much! When I heard that you had gall bladder surgery I had assumed it was the fairly routine thing... I'm so glad things worked out so well. You're amazing!
I hope you recovering well from your surgery! That does not sound fun, but then again, is surgery ever fun?
I know what you mean about the gown thing. I also had my gown opening in the back and was totally shocked the first time I saw my incision and saw that it was about an inch above my lower and upper privies. Yowzers docs! It is a little embarrassing to know you had everything hanging out while your knocked out. (not to mention with a room full of people)
Okay, totally know how you feel. When Jackson (now 7) was 6 monthes old I was diagnosed with...ready for it OVER 9 DOZEN stones. They stopped counting at that the doc said. Well I put off the surgery with no insurance it was alot of $$! 3 years of medicating my fetal position pains I was pregnant with Liv. It was getting worse and I had to see a specialist. 3 weeks before my due date they rushed me in. They thought it was going to burst and kill both of us. I had less then 24 hours to prepare for a baby. And like the procrastinator I am, i didnt get it out untill a month after she turned 1. Right after I finally got insurance. It was nasty and looked like a chunk of cement! Gall stones are awesome! I would wish them on No ONE!!Happy recovery!! xoxo
I AM so glad that all went well. I have been meaning to call you and see how you are doing for so long now. Sorry that I have not. I hope that you have continued to recover fully. love you.
Um, sheesh! You'd think that you've been busy or something. LOL :) I'm glad that you were being watched over and taken care of. You are very blessed. I hope things are going better for you.
Post a Comment