Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Late Night with Leslie

Last night in bed, James and I had a conversation that went something like this:

Me, while reading my scriptures: Can I share an insight I received recently?

James: Uh-hmmmm.

Me: O.k., well, the phrase, "chastisement of our peace" never really made any sense to me, but I always lumped it in with the rest of the verse that I felt I understood at least at some level; "he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." So, I looked up "chastisement", and an archaic definition is "refinement, purification". Suddenly it became ...

At this point, James interrupts and says: Um, I drifted off there at the end. Something about picking things up off of the ground?

Me: No. ... Not at all.

James: Oh, sorry.

Apparently I am REALLY INTERESTING to talk to late at night. : )

So, for any of you still awake, I'd like to finish my thought.

When I pondered the phrase as "the refinement and purification of our peace was upon him", it became so beautiful to me. He worked at it and sacrificed for us until what He could give to us is PURE peace. So, whatever is standing between us and the peace we seek has already been tended to by He who turned water to wine. We can have pure peace now, through our Savior, Jesus Christ.

15 comments:

Lindy-Lou said...

I've sung the choral sections of Handel's Messiah for over 2 decades and that phrase is part of one of the most moving pieces. I've read it in Isaiah. I've never really focused on the phrase, but now I realize once again that no idle word is found in scripture. Thanks for enlarging my understanding and appreciation of the atonement.

Patty said...

Thank you for sharing this insight! It gave me the spiritual lift I've needed all morning... and a greater appreciation for what the Savior did for me. What a beautiful thought.

chelle said...

Beautiful Leslie.
I am sure James has thought about what you were picking up off the ground all day! lol
Husbands lol. I am glad mine isn't the only one like that!

Mama D said...

Beautiful insight! I now view this verse in a new light and with greater understanding of the atonement and what Christ does for us. Thanks for sharing what you learned.

Sarah said...

first: I love the story. Sounds like a replay of many nights at our house...but not usually so insightful on my part.

second: thanks for sharing! I love any thoughts that help me find peace. (That's not always easy with three little ones running around!)

Jen said...

I could use a little peace right now...

Kat said...

That is awesome. I never knew what it meant. Thanks for having an enlightening moment and sharing it so we now know what it means. :) You're awesome!

kjha said...

And this is why I still have things you said written in my scriptures from so many moons ago. And it changed the way I read my scriptures. I know I'm sappy, but I still long for the days of discussing scripture with you. :)

Jesse C said...

A really cool thought.

Don't blame James. Something about wearing a wedding ring makes you zone out from time to time when your spouse is talking to you (especially when you are tired.)

Becky said...

You're thoughts are far more insightful than my own but one thing is sure, anything you say to a tired guy while laying in bed is more than likely not going to be heard correctly if at all. zzzzzzz! Funny, cause girls seem to come up with the best things at night while laying in bed. :)

Ash said...

you are very insightful...i love it! as far as James.....use a spray bottle, i bet it would wake him up:)

Vince and Denise said...

Thanks for the insight, honestly I have never paid that much attention to that part of the verse. But seeing and understanding what that means does make the phrase and verse much more beautiful.

Now I wish that Vincent and I could have insightful converstations like this late at night.

April said...

I like listening to you. You are so insightful. Thanks.

Kaitlyn Devin and Grace said...

that was a really nice insight, i was totally awake the whole time. thanks for the thought to ponder

Shua said...

Great thought. I love finding those little "gems" (as my seminary teacher calls them) in the scriptures.

And I think I'll be laughing out loud about that conversation for the rest of the day.

Awesome.