Friday, December 12, 2008

Give Credit Where It's Due

Yesterday, I took my kids to see Santa at the mall. I took Brianna early in the day, and she just LOVED him. She wouldn't sit on his lap, but when he asked what she wanted for Christmas, boy did he get an earfull! Not much of it was distinguishable, but her whole face was lit up, and she was talking very animatedly. He got several high fives and "Merry Christmas"es from her. And he gave her a book about Santa's flight around the world.

So, when Ben got home, she was so excited to tell him, and she asked if he wanted to go see Santa. Ben was a bit skeptical. He's really been trying to figure out if Santa is real this year. So, he asked, "Where did you see him."
"At the mall" I replied.
"Then it's not the REAL Santa." he said.
"Well, he's as real as mall Santa's get." I said. "Do you want to go?"
"Yes." he answered.

I think this Santa just added to Ben's confusion. He had a real white beard and was a very sweet Santa. As soon as Ben and Brianna were done visiting with him, Santa got up and started walking through the mall. (I'm guessing he needed a bathroom break.) Brianna was RUNNING after him, calling his name. And Ben just kept asking me, "Why didn't he just use magic to get to the bathroom?"

When we left, Ben said, "Don't you think we should give him something? I mean, he gave us these books, and we didn't give him anything." So sweet.

After the mall, we drove around looking at all of the beautiful lights on the houses. There was one house in particular that I wanted them to see. It may be home to the Griswalds, . . . not sure. Well, when we got to that house, the lights weren't on yet, so we drove around that neighborhood, and then I decided we better get to the store and buy groceries. I told them that we would drive back by after the store to see if the lights were on yet.

Just as we pulled into the parking lot of the grocery store, I heard a terrible sound. I stopped the car and got out. We had a VERY flat tire. So, I called James to see if he could come rescue us, and we went inside to do our shopping.

In the store, we bought stuff that we could eat right then, because it was dinner time and we were starving. After we paid, we ended up eating just inside the doors, with the kids seated in one of those car carts. Every time the doors opened, we froze.

James did get the tire changed, with the help of another shopper who ran home and brought his BIG jack. (Thank you, James! -- Oh, and other shopper!)

Then we loaded the kids back up, and I drove back to the Griswald's. We weren't disappointed. The house and yard were lit up in all their grandeur! After driving slowly by a couple of times, we headed home. I said, "Now, wasn't that worth it?"

Ben said, "Yes! That was totally worth it. It was even worth the flat tire. I think Heavenly Father worked in our lives so that the bad became part of the good."

Wow! Forget Santa. Forget the Griswald's. Ben's comment was the highlight of my day.

13 comments:

Lindy-Lou said...

So precious. Brianna and Santa, Ben and the lesson a LOT of adults haven't yet mastered. Can't wait to hug ya'll.

Carrie said...

What a sweet comment from Ben. Kids are so pure... and it's so good that they remind us adults of these simple principles :)

Mama D said...

What a fun day! Well, except the flat tire. But even that turned into a good thing. What a perceptive boy you have!!

Tiffany said...

I love Ben. And Brianna. And you. And James. And the other shopper.

Sarah said...

Yay for Ben! I love that kid :)

Steve and Jamie said...

What a good kid. I have a hard time remembering that principle. I miss you guys!

Patty said...

I would have loved to have seen Brianna visiting with Santa- how adorable!
Ben is such a wise kid! I'm glad everything turned out so good.

chelle said...

I am not so sure I would of had that perspective. WTG Ben!!
How fun that Brianna was able to get that close to Santa AND tell him what she wanted. Matthew finally did it this year!

Andi Sherwood said...

So sweet! My 6 year-old is in the same boat. I think she is avoiding asking the question about Santa because deep down she knows the answer and she isn't willing to accept it quite yet. :)

Jesse C said...

Holy cow. That other shopper was quite a guy, and Ben, what can you say? Such a great kid, even if he wouldn't say goodbye to me.

It was so fun having you over.

Ash said...

s far as the flat tire, I sympathize. 5 days after we got our new car I decided to take the kids to Vegas for the day. 45 miles out of town I got a flat. I had to figure out how to change a van's tire (i didnt even know where the spare was kept) It was just me with 3 kids.....and no cell phone!!

Grammies Inn said...

Benjamin J. Merrell, sounds kind of General Authority-ish to me! I so love you all!

Can you have Brianna teach Natalie and Jousha how to love and talk to Santa? MOM M.

Becky said...

Kids teach us in the simplest ways. Its so precious.