Friday, September 5, 2008

An Election Year Hymn

(To the tune of 'Where Can I Turn for Peace')

Where can I turn for truth?
Who'll be unbiased,
When all these sources seek
To have my voice?

When in a wounded world,
Gas prices soaring,
Who'll be the man to lead?
Who's the best choice?


I see the TV ads,
I hear the pundits.
I want to know the facts,
Minus the spin.

Promises. Motes and beams.
Divisions and clashes.
Who, who can speak the truth,
Above the din?


****************

I believe this is unfinished, but I'm stuck. Feel free to add a verse or two! And, if you know where I can find unbiased facts about the candidates and the issues, without the spin, PLEASE tell me. I want to make a good choice, but feel woefully uneducated.

11 comments:

James said...

I once went to a concert and the lead singer David Bazan said it well when speaking about the election that was going to be taking place that year. He said, "Educate yourself and make the best decision you can and then realize that in 4 years you will be disappointed."

Leslie said...

Yup. That's what I'm afraid of, James.

Anonymous said...

The Democrats are failin because the Republicans are Palin. I feel more encouraged since she entered the picture than I have for years. But I still get upset when I receive three letters at work and four at home in one day asking for money for the RNC. I begin to feel like my contributions to them has only gone to more postage to ask me for more money.

Dad

Catherine said...

Leslie, I love reading your blog. You always put me in a good mood! That was great.

Patty said...

I think it's time to try to pass the NOTA clause for elections... if you don't like any of the candidates you can vote for NOTA- None Of The Above. Maybe we'd get a majority and force the parties to get serious about who they're offering as our choice!
I've often thought it would be fantastic if the Primary candidate had to pick a member of the other party as VP. Kinda like forcing your kids to hug after they've been fighting....

Pampered Princess said...

All I know is that I received FOUR mailings this week from the Ohio Democratic Party blasting McCain/Palin for being against abortion..... I'll be voting for McCain/Palin!

Tiffany said...

You are very good. I fear the power of spin.

Papa D said...

No spin? Good luck!

At least there is one conservative on the tickets now - although she is too conservative for me. However, I can't bring myself to vote for Obama. Part of me wants to see what you happen if the Dems controls it all; the bigger part is petrified of that possibility.

Papa D said...

What "would" happen. Yikes!

Jesse C said...

I have a really hard time getting into politics, probably because I want everything to be black and white. I guess it's a game of trying to find the lightest shade of gray.

John said...

I find myself feeling like I'm standing at a crossroad of history. I can see several choice laid out before me and while I can't see where each road leads, the smoke in the distance lets me know that they all lead to different forms of destruction.

Heaven help us all.