Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Random Reasons Why I Love Ben

Today, in the car, I was asking Brianna and Ben what sounds different animals make. Then, out of curiosity as to what answer they would give, I asked, "What does a mommy say?" Without missing a beat, Ben answered, "Grrrrr!" I had to laugh. It's true, when I get stressed and frustrated, I growl. It's hereditary. My mother growls and several of my siblings are, likewise, growlers. Unfortunately, he's heard a fair amount of growling lately. Ben is always good for a reality check. I believe I will try to growl less often from here on out.

****************

Ben recently created his own word by crossing 'puny' with 'teensy'. The result: punsy. Feel free to add this to your vocabulary, and be sure to use (as Ben does) the other forms as appropriate: punsier, punsiest.
I believe that he somehow got this word creating trait from his Uncle David who created the word 'abnauseus' to indicate 'abnoxious' to the point of 'nauseum'.

******************



Ben will do silly things just to make me laugh. Things like: squishing chocolate all in his teeth and smiling at me.



******************

Ben can create anything. He is very artistically inclined, and when he wants to draw something, he just sits down and draws it. He doesn't waste time doubting his abilities, he just does it. He is really quite talented. The sword and shield above are just a very small example of his abilities.

**************



In addition to the sword and shield above, I love the look on Ben's face. It is so very typically Ben. When he is playing, he takes his roles very seriously.

***************



Ben was eating breakfast when I told him of President Hinckley's passing. He got up from the table, and returned with President Hinckley's picture. He then made the above memorial to President Hinckley. I thought it was so sweet that I left if for the whole day.

Later, we were again in the kitchen together, when President Hinckley's picture caught my eye and I said aloud, "Oh, President Hinckley! You will be missed!" To which Ben added, "Yes. I loved hearing you at General Conference."

How could you not love a kid like that?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What can I say, it all makes me miss Ben and his family all the more. MOM M.

Tiffany said...

Oh my goodness, I love that kid! So sweet! And I can't wait to use punsy. I know exactly what it means.

chelle said...

Wow! He never ceases to amaze me.
What a sweet memorial to Pres. Hinckley. Just think of the wonderful reuinion he is having with his dear wife. :D
And as for the growling. Maybe if you were 6'2", 300lbs, bald and littered with tattoos...you'd be scary. Grrrrrrr!

Steve and Jamie said...

Hilarious! Ben is such a fun kid. I love the word "punsy". He is so creative.

Allison has also picked up on my growling habit.

Lindy-Lou said...

Eh-hem. As the matriarchal growler, (actually I've never heard Dad growl, I would describe his noise more as a wordless bellow), I must stand and take the blame. I'm pretty sure that wasn't what President Hinckley meant when he challenged us to 'stand for something'. I'll try a little harder, maybe just breathe deeply. That just seem punsier.
Ben's tribute is just so dear. What a darling boy.

Jen said...

What a great kid. I love the Ben stories! As a mom of two boys, I can really relate.

James said...

That memorial is so awesome and his comment is so awesome about general conference.

I love the look on his face in the sword and shield picture.

Anonymous said...

What a special boy he is. What mountains will he move in his life. Thanks for being such a good mom to these special kids.

Patty said...

What a blessing to have such a wonderful son! I love your stories about him- he inadvertently entertains dozens of other women through your blog!

Mama D said...

What an amazing boy you have! Both funny and sensitive to the Spirit. What a touching tribute to Pres. Hinckley! I would have left it up all day, as well.

carrie said...

what a character your ben is! he is such a riot! thanks for sharing your benisms with us. he is one neat little guy!

Anonymous said...

We love Ben too!

Anonymous said...

We love Ben too!
April

Andi Sherwood said...

Hey, are you doing ok? You haven't posted for a while so I just wanted to check in on you. :) I hope all is well in your neck of the nation. :)

:)

WillandTara said...

This the cutest thing I have ever seen. This is what I love about kids. Full of surprises and more sensitive then we ever know.