Monday, July 9, 2007

The Latest in the Dog Saga


Just for the record, I was thinking about getting a dog, long before my brother and sister just got dogs, and I have the posts to prove it! However, it was the very cute pictures of my sister's puppy that got the ball rolling again. Out of curiosity, I checked our paper on-line for any "free dogs". Lo, and behold, the very dog that I had researched months ago--a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, was listed. So, I called. . . . We will be picking up our new dog this evening.

If you've seen the movie Because of Winn-Dixie, you know that the girl named her dog the name of the grocery store. Today, Ben decided he wanted to name our dog Wal-Mart. We'll see. It is an adult dog, so unless the name is something we just can't live with, we'll probably keep the name that it already has.

So, a little information about the breed:

These dogs are the smallest of the herding dogs. "Corgi" comes from the Welsh language and means "dwarf dog." This breed enjoys obeying its owner and is eager to accomplish its duties.


The Pembroke Welsh Corgi is the smallest breed in the AKC Herding Group. Described as a big dog in a little package, the breed is quite sturdy and very athletic. Corgis are almost twice as long as they are tall, which gives the dog an unusual look that some find endearing. Their pricked ears and pointy muzzles give the head of the Pembroke a distinct fox-like appearance. The ears should stand erect and taper to a slightly rounded point. Eyes are oval shaped and dark with an alert intelligent expression. The nose is fully pigmented and black. Pembroke Welsh Corgis are athletic herding dogs and they should move easily on their short stocky legs giving the impression that these animals could work all day if need be. A deep chest provides lung room, and the topline should be level. .




Temperament:
Herding dogs tend to bond very closely with their owners and Pembroke Corgis are no exception. Extremely loyal and intelligent, these animals love to please their people, making this a very trainable breed. The Pembroke was bred to herd animals many times larger then itself, and though they are now kept primarily as pets Corgis have kept the boldness and brains needed for such work; even the breed standard insists that a Pembroke must never appear to be shy. They also make great little watchdogs and will bark to alert their owners of a stranger's approach. Corgis, like all herding breeds, may have a tendency to herd small children and animals.

Oh, and I know you're all thinking, why is the family getting rid of the dog. Apparently the dog is a casualty of the parent's divorce. We have it scheduled for doggy therapy later this week. : )

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooo, I love Wal-Mart the dog. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Congrats. I am so glad that dog fever is catching on.

You can call the dog Wally.

Anonymous said...

Or Marty

Anonymous said...

PS I do find his short legs and long body endearing. I wonder if you had somebody firmly hold his feet to the ground while you pulled up on his body if he would stretch another 6-8". j/k It's a very handsome dog.

Corrie- said...

Too bad, so sad for us. We can't use WalMart as a name for our future dog :( From the pics that you posted, I had to chuckle at those little legs, they look like peg legs. Maybe it's a pirate dog!

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to think that our Crowley genes are leading us to the short-legged canines. Is it simply our own narcissism that makes us think those short-legged dogs are so cute???