Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Happy Reading, or Listening, as the case may be

Books Currently on My Favorite's List:

1. The Education of Little Tree, by Forrest Carter
I love this book. It speaks to my heart. I laugh out loud; I sob out loud. It is a true story about a little boy who is part American indian, who goes to live with his grandparents after his parents die.

2. The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom with John and Elizabeth Sherril
This book is also a true story about a wonderful Christian family in Holland during WWII. They help with the Jewish underground. It is an amazing story, full of faith, and lessons from their lives about what it truly means to be a Christian.

3. The Peacegiver, by James L. Ferrell
This is a novel that is so excellently written. It deals with a man whose marriage and life are reaching a crisis. In reading it, I gained new understanding and insight into the Atonement. It was therapeutic for me to read. I enjoy therapy in novel form.


Books I am in the middle of reading:


The Five Lessons A Millionaire Taught Me, by Richard Paul Evans

Take Two Chocolates and Call Me in the Morning, by Emily Watts

The Family Nobody Wanted, by Helen Doss

The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis

Bonds That Make Us Free, by C. Terry Warner

The Ultimate Career, by Daryl Hoole and Daughters

The Soul of Adoption, by Catherine E. Peolman



Books on tape I am currently listening to:


Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites: Kingdoms and Conquerers, by Chris Heimerdinger

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, by J.K. Rowling

5 comments:

Dede said...

Wow!!! You must be really busy! James (my James) must be related to you...he is always reading several books at a time. I, on the other hand, can only ready one book at a time.

Anonymous said...

The Hiding Place is one of my favorite books, and not 'cuz it has my name spelled correctly all over it (although that is why I initially read it in high school). For some reason I am extremely interested in that period of history. The Diary of Anne Frank is one of my all time favorites. You amaze me that you can read so many books at one time, I can hardly read my scriptures and a magazine!
I will check out some of the other books on your list, you have such great taste. One More Day is a good one too, I read that over the holidays.
Have a great day, Corrie

Anonymous said...

Can I count all the books I've nearly finished, and so must still be reading that are back on my book shelf?

Leslie said...

Sure, that's what I did. Sorry if I gave the impression that I am actively reading each of these.

Anonymous said...

Education of Little Tree is definitely one of my favorites. I need to reread it as I haven't read it in years.

And I've only had about a million people recommend The Peacegiver. I really want to read that one.

I just started The Boxmaker's Son by Donald Smurthwaite. This author is an LDS fiction writer, which for me often makes the books a little too "cutsie." But his books have been very real and poignant. I read the first few pages the other night and told Janet that this one is going to "get me" as it's about a son and his hard-working dad. I'll have to let you know later what I think when I'm finished.