Friday, March 2, 2007

Expressions of March

"'Shhh!' said Pooh. 'You'll wake the lion!' Pooh explained to Christopher Robin what Rabbit had said.

"'Silly old bear,' said Christopher Robin. 'It's just an expression. Some people say that when March weather comes in fiercely -- like a lion, it will go out meekly -- like a lamb. They're talking about the weather, you see, not a real lion.'

"Pooh and his friends heaved an enormous sigh of relief ...."

(Winnie the Pooh's March March!, A Disney Enterprises/Reader's Digest Young Families Book)

Yesterday, with the rain pouring down, and the wind blowing hard enough that the flags were straight and the trees were bent, I said to Ben, "March certainly has come in like a lion! We'll have to pay attention to see if it really goes out like a lamb."

This morning, the sun was shining in a beautiful sky. Ben crawled into bed beside me, and said softly, "It's a lamb day, mom."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben's our little lamb. What a sweet moment.

Anonymous said...

Tell Ben I'm hoping for some Lamb Days, myself. I'm so glad I know what to call them now. :)